Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Dernek?
- The Dernek is located off of Talapaşa Caddesi in Ortabayır Mahallesi, between Levent and Gültepe. For more information on our location and detailed directions, click here.
What’s the best way to get to the Dernek?
- We recommend taking the Metro or riding the 62 (from Kabataş/Beşiktaş) or 65G (from Şişli/Mecidiyeköy) bus. It’s about a ten minute walk from Levent and about a two minute walk from the Bacadibi bus stop. For more detailed directions, click here.
How much money do I have to pay to participate in activities at the Dernek?
- Nothing! Every event that takes place at our location is completely free for everyone.
I’d like to come to the Dernek but really want to bring my friend with me. Is that ok?
- Of course it is! As we say in our mission statement, we want to serve our friends and the friends of our friends. Anyone who wants to participate is welcome to come.
My friend doesn’t know any English but wants to learn. Is the Dernek a good place for him to start learning?
- At this time, we do not have any English classes available for brand new beginners. We recommend attending one of the numerous language institutes in Istanbul to learn basic grammar and vocabulary at an introductory course. We cater to basic English students all the way up to advanced speakers. We encourage you and your friend to attend any of our Friday events, where we engage in fun activities in both English and Turkish.
Why doesn’t the Dernek offer English classes for beginners?
- Our philosophy is that the best talent we have to share with you is our natural speaking ability as native English speakers. You can learn grammar and vocabulary from many different places, but most places won’t give you the opportunity to sit and speak with native English speakers.
Does anyone on the Dernek staff know Turkish?
- Each member of our staff knows at least some Turkish. Members of our staff have lived in Turkey for anywhere from 1 year to 15 years, so some know Turkish quite well while others are still striving to learn.